- Plays Super Audio CD, Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3 CD, and WMA CD*
- VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry)
- High-Grade Wolfson® 192 kHz/24-Bit D/A Converter (WM8742) with DSD Bit-Stream Support for Super Audio CD Applications
- Thermally Regulated Crystal Oscillator and Jitter-Cleaner Device to Stabilize Clock Frequency
- 2 Digital Outputs (Optical and Coaxial)
- Digital Out On/Off
- Wide-Spaced, Machined Solid Brass Audio Terminals for High-Grade RCA Audio Cable
- Digital Filter Control (CD: 5 Modes, Super Audio CD: 4 Modes and DSD Direct)
- Phase Control
- Repeat Modes (Super Audio CD and CD: Disc/Track/A-B Repeat, MP3 CD and WMA CD: Disc/Track/Folder/A-B Repeat)
- Random Modes (Super Audio CD and CD: Disc, MP3 CD and WMA CD: Disc/Folder)
- Headphone Jack with Volume Control
- 4-Mode Display Dimmer (Normal/Dim/Dimmer/Off)
- High-Rigidity, Anti-Resonant Flat Chassis (1.6 mm Thick)
- Aluminum Front Panel
- Heavy-Duty Inlet Power Cord
- RI-Compatible Remote Control
- Frequency Response:
- Super Audio CD 4 Hz–50 kHz
- Audio CD 4 Hz–20 kHz (44.1 kHz)
- Total Harmonic Distortion:0.0025%
- Audio Dynamic Range: 100 dB
- S/N Ratio: 114 dB (CD), 110 dB (SA-CD)
- WHD: 435 x 80 x 318 mm
- Weight: 4.5 kg
Super Audio CD Playback Creates the Sensation of Being There
- Sampling audio signals at a rate 64 times higher than CD, Super Audio CD gives you the closest possible approximation of being in the same room as the musicians. Little wonder, then, that it has established itself as the audiophiles’ format of choice. Now, with the C-S5VL, Onkyo makes quality audio more accessible than ever. The C-S5VL is a stellar playback solution for Super Audio CD—as well as regular CDs and WMA- or MP3-encoded discs—and makes an ideal partner for Onkyo’s slimline A-5VL integrated amplifier. The C-S5VL incorporates Onkyo’s VLSC™ technology, along with high-end Wolfson® DACs, to ensure a pristine conversion of the audio signal from digital to analog. Meanwhile, a high-precision crystal oscillator and jitter-cleaner device work together to stabilize the clock frequency. You get meticulous timing for all digital signals and hence beautifully clear separation of musical instruments. So, if you want to get serious about digital audio playback, open your ears to the C-S5VL.
VLSC™ (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry)
- In conventional digital-to-analog conversion methods, it’s impossible to completely remove noise. This noise taints the analog signal and ultimately degrades the sound emitted from your speakers. With Onkyo’s VLSC, though, data is continuously sampled between two discrete points—via a signal comparison generator—and the difference is joined with analog vectors in real time to produce a smooth output waveform. The VLSC digital-to-analog conversion method results in an accurate, virtually pulse noise-free audio signal that faithfully reproduces the acoustic detail and subtle nuances of all your audio sources, and breathes life into digital media.
Thermally Regulated Crystal Oscillator and Jitter-Cleaner Device to Stabilize Clock Frequency
- The C-S5VL boasts an extremely precise clocking mechanism that controls and coordinates the timing of all digital signal processes—a bit like how a conductor directs and coordinates the individual instruments of an orchestra. The C-S5VL uses a state-of-the-art crystal oscillator that achieves a frequency deviation much lower than that achieved by a conventional oscillator. As the circuitry is designed to stay at a constant temperature, the oscillator frequency remains stable at all times. Stability is also aided by a special “jitter-cleaner” device that works to reduce the effects of jitter in the master clock. Thanks to the C-S5VL’s precise clocking abilities, you get to enjoy an accurately realized sound field and clear separation of individual musical instruments.
Wolfson® Microelectronics 192 kHz/24-Bit DAC (WM8742)
- The C-S5VL features a high-performance Wolfson 192 kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converter with DSD bit-stream support for the advanced digital audio of Super Audio CD. This DAC incorporates multi-bit, sigma-delta architecture to optimize the signal-to-noise ratio and maximize tolerance to clock jitter. On the C-S5VL, the WM8742 has been configured to support a Digital Filter Control function, which lets you select from five different modes for CD and four modes for Super Audio CD (plus DSD Direct). With this DAC on board, you are guaranteed a pristine conversion of digital signals into analog audio output.